Portable Appliance Testing or PAT Testing is the process of checking electrical appliances for safety through a series of visual inspections and electronic tests.
Why do I need to have my appliances tested?
The best way of ensuring that your appliances are safe is to have a PAT test carried out on them. This is a good way for landlords and emmployers to ensure that they are meeting their legal obligations to maintain high standards of electrical safety on their premises.
To establish the safety and suitability of your electrical appliances, the competent person will carry out a visual inspection of the appliance, its plug and lead.
For Class I equipment they will also inject test signals into the cable and appliance to ensure their integrity.
Electrical work must only be carried out by people who have the necessary knowledge, skill and experience needed to avoid danger to themselves and others.
Upon completion of the inspection and testing you should receive a report that details the following as a minimum:
* An inventory containing each appliance type, name, location and description
* A full set of test results for each appliance tested
* A full list of any failed items with an explanation of their failure
* A visible pass or fail label on each appliance detailing the inspection date, next test due
and the inspector’s signature.
* Class 1 includes equipment that is connected from the mains. The equipment in this category will have an earth connection from your mains and will likely have live parts that contain basic insulation. Appliances that typically fall into Class 1 include computers, fan heaters and other similar items.
* Class 2 includes equipment that does not have exposed metal work and contains at least two different layers of insulation. Items typically found in this class include dictation machines, desk calculators and others.
* Class 3 includes all equipment that operates from power supplies less than 50v AC. These items will have basic insulation and will contain no metal work. Items typically found in this category include mobile phones and lap tops among others.
 Class I equipment relies on the presence of an effective protective (earth) conductor for reasons of safety.
Customers have been asking me to P.A.T test their equipment for some time, so Holland Systems now offers this service. If you need your appliances tested PROPERLY by a company who will be here to do it again next year, and keep the records, then call or email for an appointment.
I am fully trained & qualified and have the kit to test all your equipment, including Microwave leakage.
Current customers include a school with nearly 5000 items to test, a water sports company with some very unusual items, and students off to college who need their few items tested to comply with University safety regulations.
Prices are competitive and the service exceptional. Holland Systems will be happy to discuss your requirements